About Me

I'm Shaun. I'd consider myself the epitome of contentedness. I come off as homosexual nine times out of ten, and I'm a very happy person. For what I lack in problems and tragic pasts, I make up for with Awesomeness.

Tuesday 24 January 2012

I believe knowledge is a responsibility

as is the sharing of it. There is information that should be freely available to everyone. There should be public access to every religious text, enlightening or disgusting, and every paperback that damns them, well-intentioned or not. We should be able to know everything that happened on every warfront, what happened beyond enemy lines and beneath government censor. I struggle to think of a single book that deserves burning. Even if the information inside is horrendous or criminal, it should be released, to those who want it. The solution isn't suppressing lies, but releasing truth. I'll burn the house of someone who withholds Mein Kampf just as soon as the house of whoever suppresses The Catcher in the Rye.
(Can you believe how relevant this is so far to current events? Just noticed. I'm so good)

But I also believe that there is knowledge we hide everyday, rightly. Some things are best left alone. I'm finding it hard to tell the difference between information I shouldn't share, or can't.

No comments: